Happy Father’s day! AND Happy birthday to my dad :). Yup, that lucky duck gets two celebrations crammed into one day! Unfortunately I am unable to spend this special day with him; however, due to saddening circumstances, I was able to see him earlier this week 🙂 Funny how things work out, huh?
My dad has ALWAYS been there for me, while also teaching me soem very valuable lessons:
- The value of a dollar: he never loaned me money when I was younger (not even five bucks!) unless I earned it through chores, or if I could prove that I would pay him back
- Cars: how to change a tire, how to do an oil change, and how to detect why it may have broken down
- Never Assume: because it makes an ASS out of U and ME (hehe)
- How to build a jewelry box out of wood — he is an incredible craftsman! If you need nay furniture, he can whip up beautiful tables, chairs, grandfather clocks, hutches, etc.
- How to tie a knot: I always tagged along during the good ‘ol boy scout days with my dad and Jimmy
- How to make the perfect scrambled eggs – which I don’t make anymore since I can only tolerate so much dairy( I call it partial lactose intolerance) – he adds in milk and cheese..yummy!!
- How to appreciate all that the human body can do – I can remember back when I was about 8, and complained about how bored I was, my father said “look at the movement of your fingers, look how incredible it is that you can do that!” I told him that was stupid, and later sprained my ankle after sliding on the hardwood floor in my socks…KARMA!
- My favorite: How to sail<3
This morning I wanted to use my new toy, while making one of my dad’s favorite breakfasts : blueberry pancakes, and eggs (with veggies, of course)!
(Makes 6 servings)
– 1/2 C whole wheat flour
-1/4 tsp Baking soda
-1/4 TSP baking powder
-1/4 C sugar, Truvia, Splenda, or sweetener of your choice
-1 Egg white
-1 TSP vanilla
-1/2 C almond milk
-1 TBSP unsweetened applesauce
-1/4 – 1/2 C blueberries, smashed
Now, most of you do not know, but my dad has been one of the BIGGEST influences towards my interest and passion for health. Since I was a little munchkin, my dad would always read up on the latest health news, and always nagged me to eat my fruits and veggies….especially blueberries and watermelon! 🙂
And as much as it got on my nerves when he would give me research articles to read regarding indoor tanning when I used to do it a lot – I have to understand he only did it because he cared deeply. BUT that doesn’t meant you should believe everything you read out there.
My dad is probably one of the healthiest people I know, and in excellent shape. People as young as my dad (hehe) are at high risk for obesity, high blood pressure, cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. But since he takes excellent care of himself, takes his daily fish oil, gets an abundance of physical activity through yard work, and consumes a diet rich in antioxidants, he does not have a single sign or symptoms for those common diseases (as far as I know, at least!)
I remember having a conversation with my brother a while back about our father, and how much we admired how insanely healthy he is. Now, do not get me wrong, he LOVES his sweets and salty snacks (just like his little girl hehe), but he would choose a handful of blueberries over chips any day. Fun fact – my parents go through at least 1 container of blueberries each day! Talk about antioxidants :p